PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A little girl who made a big impact.

Today I worked with bestie in her retail store to help with the craziness that is going to be black friday.
This was a refresher day. So I could brush up on my skills and be ready for midnight madness on Friday. It has been 2 and a half years since I have worked with this company. It is actually where Pam and I met. She was/is my boss. :) Things came back to me and it was nice to be able to have adult interaction and feel needed in a way different than with Bub's. {would I give up staying at home for that feeling. Not on your life but, it was fun and I look forward to helping out friday} 
So today was nice, upbeat, a little busy, a little slow. 
In walks in an older man I would say in his late 60's and a girl about the same age as Marah. The man (her Great Uncle) sees this child only twice a year he tells us. As he walks in he says something utterly embarrassing about her being his wife he was about to marry she gives him the same stink eye I get from time to time from Marah. Because let's face it you are only so cool to a 7 year old and that would have embarrassed me at almost 30 years old. She walks off and this man proceeds to tell Pam and I in a hushed tone as if to explain her embarrassment  "That she was an adopted child. One of his nieces and she has some personality flaws and had been through something hellacious before they got her". I know he must not have noticed the sheer look of shock on our faces that he would talk so openly about the character "flaw" of a 7 year old to two women he has known for 5 seconds but, trust me we were horrified. He then states that he gave her a five dollar bill and told her
 "Merry Christmas, we'll see how far that gets you"
To say that my heart ached to snatch this girl up and tell her how amazing and beautiful she was would have been an understatement. In this store five dollars won't get you much but, I was going to be darned if she wasn't going to leave with a smile on her face and at least feel what love I could give her in 3 minutes. I asked if she wanted help and while I showed her how we could stretch that five bucks mentioned that my mom was also adopted. She smiled the most precious smile. She said she had been taken in 3 years ago with her three brothers. She said she loved her mom and was glad she got to keep her brothers too.  She started to open up and tell me about how they had traveled into town and that it still felt weird to have a family. That she really just liked to stay home because things made her nervous. I don't know if any of you have seven year olds in your life but, these are some pretty deep revelations for a seven year old to have.  I mentioned to her that my mom now worked at a school and had a big family of her own. The little girl just beamed and said she wanted to be a teacher. I told her I knew she could do it and I had a feeling she was going to be wonderful at everything she did. 
We may have talked for 3 minutes total.  
The little girl was smiling when she left. I can only pray as she goes on in her days that her parents are supportive. That she is encouraged and loved and snuggled so much. That she isn't made to feel less than because she was an "adopted child" as if that made her less real. Today was no accident. That precious girl was brought into my life for 5 minutes to remind me to pray. To be thankful that my own moms  story had a happy ending and keep praying for those babies who have yet to find that kind of love.
It made me think of Karen who's son came from Korea earlier this year. I am so thankful 
to know their are families like Karen's who just praise God daily for the blessings
 that their children bring. I know he will always feel just as special as his big sister. 
It makes me thankful for the grand-mommies who act as mothers.
 Who have stepped up and taken that role in place of the birth mothers who choose not to. 
I have some of those in my life too. I am thankful for the girlfriends I have made in play groups 
who love their own babies so much you can feel it just being around them. I am thankful for my best friend who will make the most incredible mommy one day. Who loves my child as her own. 
 I think Thanksgiving to me this year is about that kind of love in my life. 
I am thankful and prayer all at the same time. 
I don't think that little girl could ever imagine the impact she had on me today. 

What are you thankful for today?


3 comments:

Sole Matters said...

such a touching story T!!! so glad you got to meet her.

Cisilia "cc" said...

For so much but as we spoke earlier for realizing what the word "unconditional" meant to me every time i met my precious children. I knew i unconditionally loved them NO MATTER WHAT i would do ANYTHING for them and be a Momma BEAR for the rest of their lives. I am thankful for each of my children. You are my oldest and I will always be thankful you forgave me for the many mistakes i made along the way. That you brought the most wonderful man into our lives to love and cherish and well lets just say Jackson is the one who leaves me speechless. Mom

Pam said...

Such a touching experience... this story brought me to tears hearing it from your POV. I love you.