PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Truth.

I have a board on Pinterest filled with those silly sayings that we all nod our heads in agreement with when we read them. A friend posted this on FB and I thought it was worth sharing because it is so very true. 


‎"But having kids, you don’t escape from it, you seize onto it, it’s a 

big, stressful, exhilarating, real life thing. And it’s permanent, it’s

 something that you have to evolve for. Some people don’t, but I

 think you have to actually change your values system, and you have

 to revolutionize yourself in order to do it properly, because kids 

can’t raise kids, and I think you’re somewhat a kid until you have 

them, then you really have to grow up."

Louis C.K.


At 3.5 the fits have invaded our home. Not daily but, often enough to take notice. It's so frustrating. You see, when you have kids. You want people to love them, regardless of how they act. So even when my kid is screaming and yelling "I want to throw balls at people" {true story} I want the world to say, "Oh, that Jackson Rush I just adore him". The past couple of weeks we have thought about how we are reacting to Jack. Books we can read and learn some better ways to handle this new phase in parenting. All we really want is the same thing as parents {and I have a great friend who constantly encourages me that we are all in this together. Love you D} to end up with well adjusted, open minded, kind, thoughtful, polite grown ups. Not to much to ask right? ;)  I asked this on a few "mommy" type forums and while overall I was met with "yes, we have all been there" read this/try this. I was also met with small back handed slaps.  Any how this is how I got on my soap box. The end of the story is this. This parenting thing, it's for life. These little people grow into big people. So how we handle them now. It's all connected. All of these decisions we are making now, will shape who they are tomorrow. It's kind of a big deal. So don't act like your "you know what" doesn't stink. That your kid/parenting is perfect. It doesn't help the rest of us out there in the fight feel very encouraged. Fess up. We are all just doing our best. So maybe throwing a little side eye is normal from time to time but, in the end we all need to keep it real. It is so fun but, it's also pretty scary sometimes.
100x over again worth it but, parenting is no joke. Just ask any parent of a 3 1/2 yr old. ;) 

//soap box.
and a picture of my kid for getting through that.
{eating my last bite of banana, no less}



5 comments:

donna said...

Aint that the truth? Being a parents is the biggest challenge.

My pet peeve though is when a parent has given up on being the parent because their kid is just being "a kid" or "he's just 3". Oh people, you just expect them to suddenly behave when they are 10? Sorry...for the soap box :)

Y'all are doing a great job raising a fine man! I absolutely adore your Jackson Rush. He is a sweet boy---with the right amount of spunkiness(that is a good thing)!

Lindsey @ The Hill House said...

Oh my gosh I totally understand!! Brandon's usually pretty good, but he has his moments, and when I feel the judgmental eyes of others on me, I just want to scream "Seriously?!?!" at them. I'm not perfect and my kid's not perfect, but dang it, I'm doing the best I can! At least I'm trying! So frustrating sometimes! Best of luck with the rest of the terrible 3's. Hopefully the tantrums will calm down soon for both of us! :)

Michelle said...

I know you are going through it with Jackson right now, but I swear I only see such a sweet boy all the time. So I think you and Brian are doing something right.

I always tell myself, "we are not raising children, we are raising adults". And its hard to do, isn't it? It's so easy to get frustrated with them and lose our cool. It's comforting to know others face the same challenges, in some way.

Its hard when our babies start to exert their independence and opinions after 3+ years of having all our own say. I think you're doing a great job.

Cisilia "cc" said...

I :hear: you and i know it is a challenging job. You never know for sure, "they" never know for real. You pray and you trust that you know what you know. We want so much for our little jewels and in the process we make mistakes. Plain and Simple. But we always keep learning and remember the good times over the bad ones. I think you are doing an amazing job with Jackson.

Cisilia "cc" said...

I :hear: you and i know it is a challenging job. You never know for sure, "they" never know for real. You pray and you trust that you know what you know. We want so much for our little jewels and in the process we make mistakes. Plain and Simple. But we always keep learning and remember the good times over the bad ones. I think you are doing an amazing job with Jackson.